The good news: when I called Apple support to report a dead ATI Radeon 2600 XT, they arranged to have a replacement one ready for me to swap at the famous 24-hour Fifth Avenue Apple Store. No hassles whatsoever.
The bad news: when I left the store with the new graphics card in my hands, I had a $115 parking ticket waiting for me, on top of the $25 I’d just spent on a Zipcar to get down there.The moral: Apple good, taking the subway to Apple Store even better.
(Apple Store Fifth Avenue, Manhattan)
(Bureau of Conveyances, Honolulu, HI)
(Rainbow Drive In, Honolulu, HI)
(Diamond Head State Monument, Honolulu, HI)
I’ve been skeptical of spam musubi in the past, but Iyasume has made me a believer. The decor is nice, too.
(Iyasume, Honolulu, HI)
Phew, my first student videoconference went off well. Thanks HIFF for the opportunity to speak to Hawaii youth. Great questions, y’all!
(McKinley High School, Honolulu, HI)
Today, I biked about 50 miles on the beautiful isle of Maui. Unfortunately, almost half of those miles were unintentional and extremely difficult – so much so that at one point I really thought I was going to die in a ditch by the side of the road.
Some lessons learned:
- Kihei to Lahaina is 24 miles, not “about 12.”
- Measuring mileage on a tourist map while Tweeting and using the “thumb and forefinger” method almost guarantees inaccurate results.
- There’s no reason to believe that the ride will be mostly flat and you’ll have a tailwind, just because you hope it will be. In fact, the opposite might be true.
- If you leave at 4:30ish to catch a 6pm sunset and it turns out your mileage estimate is wrong, you will be riding in the dark for a good portion of your trip. Also, Maui highways aren’t lighted.
- Just because the highway has Bike Route signs doesn’t mean you’re not riding in a shoulder with cars zipping by at 50mph just a few feet away from you.
- If your ride is an hour longer than you expected and it’s around dinner time, you will be hungry for a good part of your trip.
- If your ride is much harder and longer than you expected, you will finish your one bottle of water long before you reach your destination.
- Catching the last bus out of Lahaina will be a big relief, but means you will still be riding 9 miles from Ma’alaea to Kihei because it’s too late to make the connecting bus.
- You will earn both admiration and embarassment-inducing disbelief when you tell your story to the Maui Bus driver.
(Ahihi-Kina’u Nature Preserve, Maui, HI)
(Kalama Park, Kihei, HI)
From the 30th floor Hospitality Suite at HIFF.
(Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, HI)
Bike happiness is assembling your folder on a lanai in Hawaii.
(Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel, Honolulu, HI)
I was told not to leave San Diego without tasting this local delicacy.I was advised well, though my doctor might disagree.(Roberto’s, Hazard Center Drive, San Diego, CA)
We SO need several of these in NYC.(Bikestation, Union Station, Washington, DC)
Oh, the simple joys of cat life — and cat ownership.
This summer, I shot a new short and helped a good friend with his. Can’t say more about either at the moment, so for now just enjoy this picture of Jo on set doing her own version of Mistress of Spices.(Empire Corner II Restaurant, Manhattan)
(8 Av & 20 St, Manhattan)