Getting around the Bay Area is remarkably easy, with or without a car (though with a car is better). Some observations:
– VTA bus drivers will cheerfully cut you a break if you’re short on bus fare. (It’s kind of like the pay-what-you-wish policy at the Met.) I’m a little embarrassed to say that I was able to confirm this on three different trips in San Jose.
– 4 in 5 SF Muni bus drivers don’t care at all if you have the correct fare or a valid transfer, so just get behind the white line already you damn tourist.
– I’m the only one not driving in the SF bus lanes.
– Next time I’m in SF, I’m definitely riding the Milan streetcars on Market St. They’re beautiful and loud as heck.
– I’m averaging one illegal u-turn per day in SF.
(Fremont BART Station, CA)